Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Scholarship Application - Personal Statement

I had to write a Personal Statement for a scholarship application recently. Here is what I submitted: (*note: I'm not thrilled about some of the adoption labels/verbiage I used, but it was for the sake of clarity since the people reading my essay most likely have little to no adoption experience.)

Like so many students, when I graduated from high school I was sure I had the course of my life set. Through the next few years, I discovered how incredibly wrong I was, and needed to reevaluate my goals. Time away from academia has allowed me the opportunity to discover my passions and therefore my professional goals. Attending Red Rocks Community College will help me actualize the goals I have set and desire to achieve. With the intent to transfer to Metropolitan State College of Denver and pursue a degree in Human Services, Red Rocks’ excellent credit transfer system presents a way for me to jump-start my education and my future career.

My chosen direction was provided by personal experience. A couple years ago, I found myself in a tough situation; dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. The impact of the choices and consequences thereof in dealing with that cannot be underestimated; nor the value of the support I received. Through my decision to relinquish my son for adoption I met the woman most responsible for my decision to become a professional counselor. She possessed the education and skills necessary to guide me through the relinquishment process with ease, allowing me more time to focus on my well-being. I respected and responded to her ability to be a professional while creating an amiable rapport with me. She was invaluable to me; however, she lacked insights that can only be gained through personal experience. This made me aware of a particular deficit in this field, which I feel needs to be addressed. My first hand knowledge of the struggles birth parents deal with during and after the adoption process equips me to meet the unspoken needs of potential birth parents. The ability to fill the void that few others can fill is what drives me to be successful in my chosen field.

Since discovering this passion, I have sought to put my goals into practice. A family friend approached me at church and asked me to volunteer as a leader for Teen Community Bible Study (TCBS). After considering the time and personal commitment required, I agreed to co-lead the high school girl’s group. It has turned out to be one of the best things I have ever been a part of. As a leader, I spend time with the girls in a group setting, as well as one-on-one. Through my experiences I am able to help them navigate through life’s struggles and the drama surrounding being a teenager. Investing my time and energy into the future of my community, through TCBS, not only prepares me for my intended career, but also makes a difference in the lives of those students I come into contact with.

Continuing my education will allow me to keep making a difference in more lives; however, my financial circumstances could be an impediment. In January of this year, the position I held at K-LOVE Radio was eliminated. For the first time in seven years I was out of work. I spent the next four months ardently seeking a position in my line of work. Only so much time can be spent searching the Want Ads each day; I was allotted plenty of time for restoring neglected friendships, mentoring the girls from TCBS, and introspection. None of the positions I held in the past seven years, or the positions I was applying for thrilled me, and I was tired of having just a job. I determined to return to school to pursue what I found truly interesting. Since that decision was made, I have been able to secure a part-time job in order to pay the bills, yet it is a significant cut in pay from my last position. Due to the difference in income, financial aid is essential to achieve my academic goals.

A lot of time and thought has gone into this decision and I know I am on the right course. I have realized I have a gift for counseling, compassion and empathy and I want to use those skills to benefit others on a larger scale. A good education is the key to success in achieving my long-term goals and Red Rocks is the ideal starting point.


Let me know what you think. Please be brutally honest. I'm trying to become a better writer :)

1 comment:

Dave Baldacchino said...

I think you've expressed yourself very well :) Keep up the good writing!